Director of Development
The Director of Development advances the Mission and Vision of Allies by building, fostering, and inspiring excellence in the Agency’s ability to:
- Serve as the primary resource for HIV/AIDS support, information, and best practices and protocols in Southwestern PA
- Provide exceptional and compassionate medical care and social support services
- Integrate the voice of consumers with program quality initiatives and services
- Collaborate with and act as a resource for other organizations, providers, and professionals locally and nationally
- Embrace and exhibit the highest ethical standards
- Maximize and monitor fiscal and other resources
- Build an environment that is safe, confidential, and inclusive
- Eliminate the devastating impact of stigma through cultural awareness and advocacy
As part of Allies Leadership, the Director of Development is responsible for formulating strategic and operational goals designed to raise awareness of Allies, to secure funding, foster donor relations, as well as translating the Mission and Vision into actionable objectives specific to area of expertise.
To improve health and well-being, ALLIES provides integrated medical care, supportive human services, and community-based education for individuals living with, or at risk of HIV, viral hepatitis, and sexually transmitted infections.
ALLIES envisions a healthier community whereby people access integrated medical care and supportive human services in a respectful setting, free of stigma and discrimination.
- Create and oversee a comprehensive fund development plan for Allies which will include grant administration, expansion of annual giving, special events planning, fostering donor relations, compiling associated data, and investigating options for innovative fundraising projects and initiatives
- Write grants for public and private funders for program-specific initiatives, organizational growth, and general operations
- Conduct research to identify the goals, net worth, charitable donation history, or other data related to potential donors, potential investors, or general donor markets
- Direct activities of external agencies and vendors that develop, coordinate, and implement aspects of fundraising programs
- Ensure that Allies’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is an essential component of all Development efforts
- Oversee the Communications & Marketing department, including supervision of the department manager
- Assist with Board recruitment
- Analyze, direct, and implement policies, objectives, and activities to ensure continuing operations, maximize returns on investments, and meet fiscal priorities
- Facilitate volunteer opportunities within fundraising activities
- Direct and generate corporate, governmental and foundation grant letters of inquiry, proposals and reports as designated and monitor funding deadlines
- Review, develop and implement donor recognition materials
- Oversee all gift tracking procedures, including the maintenance, security, and enhancement of the development information systems
- Prepare all necessary reports for the COO, CEO, and the Board of Directors and various funding sources
- Coordinate with Allies department directors and staff to support development-related volunteer activities for events and projects
- Seek out up-to-date information about Allies’ programs and services, as well as relevant local, regional, and national health statistics that will inform and support our Mission
- Improve job knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations and best practices; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Embrace and exemplify organizational standards and guiding principles for processes, protocols, and utilization
- Commit to Allies’ promise to sustain and extend diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Contribute to efforts that build and reinforce Allies’ distinctive, effective, and ethical practices
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- History of meeting project deadlines and exceeding fund development goals
- Fundraising and development for programs or initiatives aligned with Allies’ commitment to eliminate HIV, increase access to health services and care for BIPOC, or advance education in communities of color
- Leadership in an organization related to healthcare, social service or similar in size, scope, and scale of impact as Allies
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to motivate, negotiate, educate, influence, and persuade stakeholders, consumers, and collaborators
- Excellent communication skills across multiple disciplines and platforms, including verbal, written, and public speaking
- Proven track record of success as a key member of management, including working successfully with Boards of Directors.
- Ability to integrate strategic and operational goals across an organization
- Adjustment of program outcomes and procedures to internal and external situations and circumstances
- Fiscal planning and governance of multiple funding and revenue sources
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with development software.
- Self-directed, flexible with strong problem-solving and prioritization skills
A Bachelor’s degree OR relevant work experience with the associated responsibilities is required; a Master’s in a program of study related to essential functions of the role is preferred. A minimum of five years in an organizational leadership role is also preferred.
The Director of Development may be called upon to engage in physical activity related to general office work including the capacity to lift 25 lbs. and stand or sit for extended periods. Current PA child abuse, PA criminal history, Federal criminal history clearances, and verification of TB test performed within the last year are required within the first 30 days of employment.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and any salary requirements to Mark Marsen, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 11/15/2021.