As part of the Allies healthcare staff, the Medical Assistant is responsible for ensuring that our patients receive care that is respectful, understandable, and individualized. As such, the Medical Assistant will work closely with our Medical Providers to establish and deliver standards of patient service, forge ongoing relationships with those to whom care is provided, ensure that regulatory guidelines are being followed, and be an advocate for ALLIES’ mission. The Medical Assistant will work collaboratively with other clinic and agency staff, and a multitude of agencies.
To improve health and well-being, Allies provides integrated medical care, supportive human services, and community-based education for individuals living with, or at risk of HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections.
Allies envision a healthier community whereby people access integrated medical care and supportive human services in a respectful setting, free of stigma and discrimination.
- Prepare patients for and assist with examinations or treatments
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records in Electronic Heath Record (EHR) system
- Administer medications to patients as ordered and monitor patients for reactions or side effects
- Record patients' medical information and vital signs
- Monitor, record, and report symptoms or changes in patients' conditions
- Prepare rooms, sterilize instruments, equipment, or supplies and ensure that inventory of supplies is maintained
- Perform specified laboratory tests and blood draws
- Schedule and confirm patient appointments
- Receive and route messages, documents, and results
- Transmit correspondence or medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax
- Instruct patients to complete documents, case histories, or forms, such as intake or insurance forms
- Schedule tests or procedures for patients, such as lab work or x-rays, based on practitioner orders
- Provide feedback to improve clinic services
- Assist ALLIES administrative staff
- Seek out up-to-date information about Allies’ programs and services, as well as relevant local, regional and national health statistics that will inform and support our Mission
- Improve job knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations and best practices; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Embrace and exemplify organizational standards and guiding principles for processes, protocols, and utilization
- Commit to Allies’ promise to sustain and extend diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Contribute to efforts that build and reinforce Allies’ distinctive, effective, and ethical practices
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Medical Assistant should have demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Utilization of electronic health record software for patient demographics, medical care, and scheduling
- Microsoft Outlook and software programs such as Word and Excel
- Common safety hazards and processes to maintain safe work environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with patients, co-workers, visitors, and non-agency representatives
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Working with a diverse customer demographic, ideally LGBT+, minority youth, or minority women
- Ability to prioritize between multiple tasks and responsibilities
Education & Experience
- Certification as a Medical Assistant or equivalent experience is strongly preferred
- Two years of MA experience in primary care or clinic setting
- Customer service experience in an environment providing service to diverse groups
The Medical Assistant will be called upon to engage in physical activity appropriate to a primary medical care setting including the capacity to stand or sit for extended periods. Current PA child abuse, PA criminal history, Federal criminal history clearances, and verification of TB test performed within the last year are required within the first 30 days of employment.
The designated budget for the Medical Assistant is between $17.00 and $18.50 an hour with distinctions made for education and direct service experience with client populations like Allies’.
LGBTQIA identified persons, Black, Indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC), individuals with disabilities and legal histories, as well as from other historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.